Signs You Need Commercial Electrical Repair
Commercial buildings come in varying states of age and repair. Previous tenants and maintenance all matter when it comes to ensuring that issues with the building don’t interfere with business operations. Electrical problems seriously hamper the smooth functioning of commercial tasks – whether it’s the air conditioning taking a hit or fluctuations meaning computers can’t function. Electrical troubles can also cause serious health and safety problems by posing a risk of electrocution or fire.
Electrical issues are not always immediately obvious: read on to see what signs suggest you may have an electrical issue that needs to be looked at immediately.
Wiring problems are not always easy to spot. They typically come to light when you are having work done. It is a good idea to check when the wiring was last changed on your building if it is an old one. Typically, wiring of buildings that are older than 50 years won’t be able to handle the amount of electricity we use these days and will need to be updated.
Similarly, buildings that were built in the 60s and 70s may have aluminum wiring. If it hasn’t been updated it means that your wiring isn’t up to code and can pose a serious fire hazard. Additionally, you should have messy, tangled wiring checked by a professional electrician to make sure that it is safe.
Circuit Breaker Tripping:
Commercial buildings have circuit breakers that are meant to handle a heavier electrical load than residential ones. If you have a circuit breaker that is constantly tripping, that means there’s a potentially serious electrical issue that is causing it to overheat. This can turn into a fire hazard if you don’t have the electrical repaired and brought up to code.
One light flickering probably means there’s something amiss with the light in question. However, if you have multiple lights that flicker, it indicates a problem with the electrical system that needs to be looked at by a professional electrician.
While on the subject of lights, did you know that switching your lighting to LED lights can reduce your carbon footprint and save you a lot of money in the long run?
Warm Spots and Shocks:
Short circuits in the wiring can occur when the insulation is worn out and the wires come in contact with each other. The current from the wires heat the surrounding area up and potentially ignite combustibles close by. If you notice there are unusual warm spots on the walls in your building, you need to call an electrician before the short circuits start a fire.
Electrical shocks from appliances or light switches means that there is a problem with the grounding. This can also turn into a serious fire hazard causing damage to your equipment and business operations.
Faulty electrical wiring and appliances can start a fire which is not always easy to spot. The first sign of an electrical fire is usually the smell. If you smell something burning and cannot locate the source visually anywhere in the building, turn off your electricity and call an electrician to check it out right away. Electrical fires can spread quickly so take precautions and call emergency services if you notice signs of a fire.
Complete Power Systems has years of experience offering the highest quality of electrical services and electrical repair for a wide range of commercial projects. We offer a variety of maintenance contracts to manage commercial electrical repair needs.
Get in touch with us for more information or to request a quote today!